Eduard Xatruch – Restaurant Compartir, Cadaqués.
This dish recreates the classic combination of olives, vinegar and sardines. As you can see, this recipe combines the flavours of green and black olives and olive oil. We use Arbequina CAVIAROLI so that we can differentiate between the individual flavours, without it blending into the sauce made from green olive juice and black olive purée.
|Ingredients (serves 4)
|For the marinated sardines
12 medium sardines
150 g white wine vinegar
20 g salt
375 g water
300 g extra virgin olive oil
- Scale and fillet the sardines.
- Add the vinegar, salt and water to a bowl.
- Leave the sardine fillets to marinate for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Drain the sardine fillets and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Cover the marinated sardine fillets in olive oil and leave in the fridge.
|For the green olive juice
200 g manzanilla olives
0.2 g xanthan gum
- Pit the olives and blend into a purée in a blender.
- Strain the purée using a cloth strainer, obtaining a green olive juice.
- Mix the olive juice with the xanthan gum. Blend until you reach an even consistency.
- Place in the fridge.
|For the orange and orange blossom jelly
50 g orange blossom water
35 g water
13 g sugar
2 g orange zest
½ 2 g leaf gelatine, soaked in water
- Mix the orange blossom water with sugar and water.
- Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and add the well-drained gelatine and orange zest.
- Pour a 1cm-deep layer of the mixture into a container and leave it to set in the fridge.
|For the fennel oil
50 g fresh fennel
100 g sunflower oil
- Blanch the fennel for 3 seconds in boiling water. Transfer to iced water.
- Blend the fennel with olive oil in a blender. Strain and place in the fridge.
|For the orange segments
- Peel the orange with a knife, removing all of the pith from the outside.
- Segment the orange, removing the flesh from the membrane. Use 3 segments per person.
- Place in the fridge.
|For the black olive vinaigrette
25 g black olive purée
25 g extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the olive purée with olive oil and place in the fridge.
20 g Arbequina CAVIAROLI
16 fresh fennel leaves
1 orange zest
Ras el hanout spice mix
FINISHING TOUCHES AND PRESENTATION
- Drain the olive oil from the sardine fillets and arrange 6 of them on each serving dish as shown in the photograph.
- Place 3 orange segments and 3 pieces of orange blossom jelly on each dish.
- Drizzle green olive juice on the base of the dish and top with dashes of black olive purée and fennel oil.
- Season the orange segments with a pinch of ras el hanout and sprinkle fennel leaves over the dish.
- Lastly, finish by grating a little orange zest over the jelly and spooning the Arbequina CAVIAROLI onto the sardine fillets.